The Hotel Plaza Grande is located in what was originally the home of Juan Díaz de Hidalgo, one of the Spanish conquerors who founded the city of Quito at the beginning of the sixteenth century. He was later appointed Quito's first judge. His mansion later became one of the Quito's first hotels.
This legendary building possesses an eclectic and neoclassical architecture, and a compact structure that broke with the homogenous colonial homes of the historic center. Previously known as the Majestic Hotel, its doors first opened in 1943.
The hotel was renowned for its elegance, music and color, delighting thousands of guests and becoming one of the biggest attractions of the era. The hotel closed its doors, but the building remained in service, first as a bank and then as administrative offices for the municipality of Quito.
In 2005, however, the building caught the attention of a group of hoteliers, who began an investment to restore the old hotel to its former glory. Today, the boutique Hotel Plaza Grande is Quito's finest hotel.
Hotel Plaza Grande has 15 suites, furnished with pieces in noble woods and following standards of the Spanish colonial era
Manor Cottage, Papermill Lane, South Moreton, Oxfordshire, OX11 9AH